Monday 26 March 2012

Haute Couture @ The Hunger Games...

Clearly I am now part of "The Hunger Games" hoopla... No, seriously. I went to watch the movie this weekend because there was so much buzz and I was curious, and now, I am 100% hooked. Seeing that I am not a tween, I was not even familiar with the books, but it was so good, that the first thing I am doing on my lunch break is going to buy these books and put the "crazy French lady" on hold because now I need to know what happens next. 

For the purpose of this blog, I will just say that the plot is so different from anything out there and is simply great. There are hair raising, inspiring and tear jerking moments. My favorite part? The "fabulosity" of the haute couture (yes, it was so amazing I needed to make up a new word for it)!

So, the setting of the story is in the post-apocalyptic country of Panem. Panem would be what is current North America and it is divided into 12 districts which are all under absolute rule of the super modern-futuristic Capitol. The clothes and makeup in the capitol are absolutely outrageous and totally high fashion. Think a mix of the best of every single era's haute couture all rolled into one. 

The fashion trends in the capitol seems to be Louis XIV inspired wigs and powdered faces with a touch of Marie- Antoinette, a little bit of Alexander McQueen, butterfly thingie things as eyelash extensions, lipstick a la Helena Bonham Carter in Alice in Wonderland, elaborate nail designs, etc, etc, etc...

You must check out this  tumbler page dedicated entirely to it.







Effie's Alexander McQueen booties!






No comments:

Post a Comment